Melcare Manuka Wound Gel 30g
Melcare's Manuka Wound Gel™ is a sterile antibacterial honey gel made from Leptospermum sp. (Manuka) honey (80%) and a natural emollient for ease of application and patient comfort. Manuka Wound Gel™ provides natural debridement of the wound.
The wound may therefore appear larger after the initial dressing change.
The honey present in Manuka Wound Gel™ will be gradually diluted by exudate and absorbed into the secondary dressing.
- Provides an antibacterial wound environment;
- Helps maintain wound pH;
- Assists in removal of slough and necrotic tissue;
- Rapidly removes malodour;
- Is non-adherent thus reducing trauma at dressing change.
In a 105 patient randomized controlled trial (Robson et al 2009) in which patients received either a conventional wound dressing or Leptospermum sp (Manuka) honey, the average healing time of the honey group was 29% faster.
Melcare's Manuka Wound Gel™ is a sterile dressing made from Leptospermum sp. honey (80%), plant derived hydrocolloids and a natural oil.
1. Inspect and clean the wound using standard techniques.
2. Open by reversing cap and twisting off top.
3. Manuka Wound Gel™ should be applied liberally (e.g. for a 10cm x 10cm wound apply 20-25g of Manuka Wound Gel).
4. Manuka Wound Gel™ can be applied either directly to the wound or to a suitable dressing.
5. Avoid direct contact with the nozzle of the tube.
6. A non-adherent gauze should be applied to cover the Manuka Wound Gel™ with additional secondary dressings applied as required for absorbance of wound exudate.
7. Wound margins can be protected by a suitable barrier cream (Melcare's Derma Care™)
8. The frequency of changing will depend on the clinical circumstances and this can vary from more than once per day for draining wounds to up to 7 days for unsoiled dressings.
9. Manuka Wound Gel™ can be removed from the wound by rinsing with clean saline or tap water at dressing change.
Manuka Wound Gel™ is indicated as a contact layer for wounds such as:
- Venous ulcers;
- Pressure ulcers (I-IV);
- Diabetic Ulcers;
- 1st and 2nd degree burns;
- Surgical wounds
- Donor and recipient graft sites
- Sloughy, malodorous wounds
- General First Aid
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other David Jones Pharmacy Online users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.